Thanks to Kerry V. for the reminder
Johnson O'Malley Student Count
September 15, 2014 Deadline
The Bureau of Indian Education (BIE) is in the process of updating the Johnson O'Malley (JOM) Student Count, which is critical to highlighting increased need as the Native student population increases. States, school districts, tribal organizations and Indian corporations should mark your calendars because the BIE needs your student count information by Monday, September 15, 2014. The Johnson-O'Malley Act of 1934 became law in order to subsidize education, medical services, and other social services for American Indians. Today, JOM funding (25 CFR Part 273) is used for programs designed to meet the specialized and unique educational needs of eligible Indian students.
To be eligible, a student must be:
- An American Indian child age 3 through 12th grade attending a public school;
- A citizen of a tribe or one-fourth degree Indian blood; and
- Recognized by the Secretary of the Interior as eligible for BIE services.
The form for submissions is located at the JOM website linked below. To submit your JOM student count, please email Juanita Mendoza at email@example.com or fax to(202) 208-3271.
- BIE JOM Website: Please click HERE.
- July 24, 2014 Tribal Leader Letter: Please click HERE.
- August 19, 2014 Tribal Leader Letter: Please click HERE.